- Hours per week:
- 26 to 38
- Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences
- Afd. Ontwikkelingspsychologie
- Application deadline:
This chair is embedded in the section Developmental Psychology of the Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences at Utrecht University. We are looking for a full professor who is an innovator in the area of assessment and/or treatment of children and adolescents, and who values teamwork. They are dedicated to clinical training of psychology students and to building close connections in the professional field. The function includes the following domains:
- The chair has an important responsibility in curriculum development and clinical training. They will help evolve and serve as a figurehead for the Master's programme Clinical Child and Adolescent Psychology (and related courses in our Bachelor's curriculum). This is a timely task given the ongoing effort to reform the training of youth mental health care professionals in the Netherlands.
- The chair has potential to take part in (inter)national discussions in the professional field and/or in policy making. The chair has extensive experience in working with clinical populations. A network of connections with clinical practice enables the candidate to represent clinical developmental psychology in the professional field. Close connections with clinical practice enable the candidate to represent clinical developmental psychology in developments in the professional field. If focusing on the context of the Mental Health Care postmaster education in the Netherlands, a role as head educator requires clinical certifications within the so-called BIG registry (e.g., as Health Psychologist, Clinical Psychologist, or Psychotherapist). Other requirements might exist to allow the chair to play a similar role in other postmaster contexts, nationally as well as internationally.
- The chair is a research leader in the field of assessment and/or treatment of children and adolescents, as proven by key publications, research projects and grants, and a strong national and international network. They also possess strong research mentoring skills and dedication: they will be able to lead the research programme within the chair and help more junior colleagues develop their lines of work, while promoting autonomy and cohesion.
- The chair is expected to contribute to the Dynamics of Youth strategic theme, and potentially to other strategic themes and focus areas. The chair is a team player who brings a positive interdependent attitude, has proven ability to forge connection with co-workers, and is dedicated to investing in talent development of more junior colleagues.
Applicants will be evaluated in terms of their overall performance on the four criteria. If a candidate does not yet meet one of the criteria, a training/coaching trajectory can be agreed on as part of the hiring procedure.
In accordance with current practice in the Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences, 60% of the appointment involves teaching and 40% involves research.
Utrecht University values a way of recognition and rewards that appreciates the full scope of academic work. When assessing a candidate’s suitability, we therefore consider all domains of academic work as described in the TRIPLE model (Team spirit, Research, Impact, Professional Performance, Leadership; and Education). The candidate is not expected to score excellent in all domains, quality takes precedence over quantity.
Within the TRIPLE model, your suitability is, ideally, exemplified by the following:
- strong commitment to quality and innovation of clinical training;
- proven effectiveness in teaching;
- leadership ability in curriculum development and supervision.
- strong research achievements, demonstrated by sustained high quality publications as first and senior author, that have innovated the field;
- strong network of international collaborators or participation in international research consortia;
- proven ability to obtain external funding.
- strong ability and dedication to helping colleagues develop their autonomous educational expertise and lines of research, in a way that complements the section and department;
- active societal role by participating in professional organisations or contributing to societal debate.
- team orientation: a positive attitude aimed at building collaborations and a proven ability to forge connections with co-workers and help them to further strengthen their careers.
- proven impact of both research and teaching, demonstrated for example by knowledge dissemination and/or implementation by academic colleagues and professionals.
- experience in working with clinical populations;
- network of connections with clinical institutions;
- ideally: clinical certifications within relevant postmaster contexts.
At Utrecht University, we value teamwork over individualism and call for an open academic culture that promotes accountability, reproducibility, integrity and transparency, and sharing (open access, FAIR data and software).
We offer an appointment for 0.7-1.0 FTE for five years. Following standard policy of Utrecht University and contingent upon a positive evaluation of the results of the initial 5-years period, this appointment will be followed by a tenured appointment (current professors will receive a permanent appointment effective immediately).
The gross salary - depending on previous qualifications and experience - ranges between € 6,099 and € 10,721 (scale H2/H1 according to the Collective Labour Agreement Dutch Universities) per month for a full-time employment. Salaries are supplemented with a holiday bonus of 8% and a year-end bonus of 8.3% per year.
In addition, Utrecht University offers excellent secondary conditions, including an attractive retirement scheme, professional development, (partly paid) parental leave, sportsandflexible employment conditions(multiple choice model). For more information, please visit working at Utrecht University.
About the organisation
Sharing science, shaping tomorrow. A better future for everyone. This ambition motivates our scientists in executing their leading research and inspiring teaching. At Utrecht University, the various disciplines collaborate intensively towards major strategic themes. Our focus is on Dynamics of Youth, Institutions for Open Societies, Life Sciences and Sustainability. You can watch the Utrecht University Campus Tour to get an impression of our university.
The Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences is one of the leading faculties in Europe providing research and academic teaching in cultural anthropology, educational sciences, interdisciplinary social science, pedagogical sciences, psychology, and sociology. Almost 7,000 students are enrolled in a broad range of undergraduate and graduateprogrammes. The Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences has some 1,100 faculty and staff members, all providing their individual contribution to the training and education of young talent and to the research into and finding solutions for scientific and societal issues.
The faculty strives for diversity among its employees and students and is committed to creating a safe and inclusive environment for everyone, as can be read in Utrecht University's Equality, Diversity and Inclusion policy.
The faculty attaches great importance to the fact that its employees can be widely deployed in the university organization, now and in the future, to further professionalize the support of education and research. To encourage this, every employee is given the time and facilities – for example in the form of training – at some point in their career to participate in projects or work in other departments. Characteristics that the faculty considers important are involvement, the ability to collaborate and flexibility.
The faculty is located at Utrecht Science Park near the historical city centre of Utrecht.
For more information about this position, please contact prof. Albert Postma (committee chair of Clinical Neuropsychology) at firstname.lastname@example.org or prof. Jaap Denissen (Head of the Section Developmental Psychology) at email@example.com.
An outline of the chair (“structuurrapport”)is available upon request.
Everyone deserves to feel at home at our university. We welcome employees with a wide variety of backgrounds and perspectives.
To apply, please send your letter of motivation and curriculum vitae, including a list of publications via the ‘apply’ button.
If you know someone who is suitable for this position, please share the vacancy.
The first round of interviews will take place early September. Our preferred starting date is 1 March 2024.
The application deadline is 20 August 2023.